Monday, 9 March 2015

When You Wish Upon A Star...

There is no greater joy than sharing the love within by wishing someone the very best. It is, however, important to know before hand how to wish by forming sound grammatical structures.

It is crucial to understand that wish can be used in other situations as well. Here is everything you need to know about wish when used as a verb:

I wish to make a reservation.

In this particular scenario, wish replaces the verb to want. These two words are interchangeable, although wish is the preferred form.

I wish I were taller.  

I wish I exercised more.

Here wish is used to express the fact that you desire something in your life to be different.

Also, please note the polite form of the copula verb to be.

The auxiliary verb would is used in conjunction with wish to express either impatience, annoyance and dissatisfaction. Here is how you use would + wish in these situations:

I wish the bus would come sooner.

I wish he would stop talking with his mouth full.

I wish people would realize that the world needs more love.

In order to offer someone good wishes, this is the proper way to do it:

I wish you a Happy New Year.

I wish you all the best.

Please note that in this scenario, hope is used instead of wish when it is followed by a verb:

I hope you have a good time on your trip.

I hope your flight is not delayed.

Finally, wish in conjunction with had expresses regret:

I wish I had not done that.